Sunday, October 10, 2010

Time Line of Art

"Yellow Cow" Franz Marc 1911
When I saw this piece I just had to take a picture. This is an oil painting from Franz Marc depicting Early Modern Expressionism. I chose this painting because I thought that the colors and movement of the cow brought forth such an emotion! It almost looks as if the cow is dancing...or jumping with so much passion! The cow is enjoying life!

"Dancer" Alphonse Mucha








After browsing through the ART section in Barnes and Nobles I stumbled across a book with Alphonse Mucha's work. I was fascinated by how many of his works depicted such strong women. He made them up to look so beautiful and lush. His "Mucha Style" became known as Art Nouveau. He wanted to steer clear of it, however, focusing more on a  spiritual message. I absolutely love his style of work. I love how he also incorporates flowers and even flower halo's on the women.



"Roses of Heliogabalus" Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema





I think that the Victorian movement was my favorite movement during the 19th century. I chose to take a picture of the painting "Roses of Heliogabalus" by Alma-Tadema  because of how beautiful it was. It is quite breathtaking! I did a little research on this painting and Alma-Tadema actually had petals sent to him weekly during four months in the winter of 1887-'88. He wanted to get each petal accurate. How amazing is that! Just to think how an artist would go to such extremes to create a masterpiece!

"Acanthus Wallpaper Design" William Morris

We have studied about William Morris and his contribution to the Arts and Crafts movement. I chose a piece of his work because it's very intriguing and organic looking! He created this wall paper in 1875. He believed this wallpaper reproduced charm of the forest inside the home. His way of thinking was to portray "purity and elegance" in his wall decorations. I'm not sure if he used this in "Red House", but boy would it have been a sight to see! It's really interesting to see how arts and crafts were used during this movement-from woven rugs to tapestries-they were all made with precision and care.



"Paris Art Deco Exhibition" 1925
This was a picture of a Paris Art Deco Exhibition that I took out of yet another art book in Barnes and Nobles. I chose this piece because it clearly represents this design internationally. Art Deco was prominent in both America and Europe and even the ocean liners that traveled to them both!
You can see the examples in their structure in how sleek and angular they both looked. This exposition was created to show the public a "fairyland" for six months. The different architects were given the reigns of freedom with their designs! It must have looked spectacular!

                                                                                          
                            

No comments:

Post a Comment